When your stomach churns and rejects all sights of food...

You know it's a brutal day and praying is all you can think about.

One of the things I dread most is hearing a trembling voice at the other end of a long distance call. A very close friend of mine in Singapore attempted to end his life at 45. He is gay, he is one of the sweetest human being I have ever met and there were no sign of depression to those around him. Tired of being a social misfit and living a double life, he was going to take care of it. Why do I even want to write about this on my blog? Isn't this a happy blog? Yes, it is. It is also a blog about life not about la-la land. By the grace of God, he was rescued in time. But the road to healing is a long one. There is little I can do for him and his family except to pray.  In the last 2 weeks, the term suicide keeps popping up in my literature, my correspondence and even in the news I read. I found myself praying for those too depressed to live. Now I understand what God was preparing me for and feel in my soul this verse from the bible ""I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking to me about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers." Isaiah 65:24

It's freaky, on August 31, I read this podcast discussion on Freakonomics radio -The Suicide Paradox. Citing reasons and geography (yes, there is a suicide belt in north america) of this kind of tragic thought process. We need to openly talk about this topic so we can all learn to pick up cues that might save a life. We need to educate ourselves of  " the hardships people (children) suffer because they aren't wanted and they spend their whole lives (if they do live them) searching for or never becoming whole". We need to learn from the Hungarians who talk about suicide casually and started a huge movement to prevent this kind of senseless deaths. We humans, while not perfect, are gregarious by nature. We are created to exist in a group and we are created to feel most fulfilled when we are useful in or to a group.

I will be attempting to call my friend on a daily basis and just talk to him for a few minutes about life and all of its beauty. The best place to start is Food - where most of our memories were built on.