Simple, appetizing summer lunch. Adjust the tasty sauce according to your liking. Personally, I add another spoonful of my own homemade chilli sambal.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pack (190g) Mung Bean Sheets (綠豆粉皮)
- 1 tsp spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- sesame oil
- 1 cucumber
- 3 handfuls cherry tomtoes
- 1.5 tbsp chinese sesame sauce (or tahini)
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard sauce
- 1/2 fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp Chinese red chili oil
- 1 tsp Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water for the sauce
- You can prepare the salad dressing a few hours ahead if you like. Simply mix the above ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Tahini can be used as substitute or replace with peanut butter. I have read somewhere that the sesame seeds used for tahini is not roasted whereas the sesame seeds are roasted for the Chinese one. That explains why they taste different. Personally, I find the Chinese sesame sauce is more fragrant.
- Fill a pan with water, add the peppercorns and bay leaves, bring the water to boil, then add the chicken breasts into the pan and turn the heat to medium high heat, poach the chicken for about 10 minutes or until cooked. Discard the water, peppercorn and bay leaves. Let the chicken to cool down and then using your hands to shred the chicken into small pieces. Shred as fine as possible, the finer (smaller pieces) of the chicken, the better texture you feel when you eat the salad. You can use 2 forks too, if you prefer. But I prefer using hand myself,chicken does react with metal and taste can change.
- Wash and cut the cucumber into thin strips, you can use a food processor, it’s much quicker, set aside.
- Wash and cut the cherry tomatoes into halves, set aside.
- Cook the mung bean boodles as instructed on the pack, it may take around 5-7 mins. . Drain to discard the liquid, then drizzle tiny bit sesame oil, toss to avoid them from sticking together.
- To assemble, use a large flat bowl, place a layer of cooked noodles at the bottom. Then layer the cucumber, tomatoes and shredded chicken as you like on top and pour the sesame dressing accordingly. Serve immediately.